Here is the first of the Recipes I promised from this week’s menu.
PUMPKIN & SPINACH COCONUT BEEF CURRY.
* recipe from One Family One Supermarket- by Bronwyn Cameron.
Serves 5-6, I served this with Rice but if you where Grain free you could serve over steamed Veggies.
Ability level –Easy, great teaching recipe for kids.
1 Kg of Beef Chuck
¼ cup of plain flour (we used Coconut flour)
1 teaspoon of Olive Oil (I used Coconut oil)
1 Onion sliced
1 teaspoon of minced Garlic
2 Tablespoons of ASIA specialties Yellow Curry paste (mild Curry)
2 teaspoons of Paprika
1 beef cube (you could use home made beef stock) or omit
2 table spoons of tomatoes paste
1 can of Coconut cream
400grms of Butternut Pumpkin peeled and diced
to taste rock salt
to taste ground pepper
½ pkt (60grms) of fresh baby leaf Spinach chopped.
- Trim and discard any excess fat from the beef and dice into 2cm cubes
- Coat the beef cubes in flour, shaking away the excess
- Heat the oil, add beef, sliced onion, garlic and 1-2 tablespoons of Curry past, (I added one then added more later) cook until meat is browned
- Add the paprika, crumbled stock cube, tomatoes paste and coconut cream.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer covered for 1/14 hours, stirring often. (I put ours in our cast iron pan with a lid and placed in in the oven for ¾ hours and it was PERFECT and tender to eat.
- Add the diced pumpkin to the pan and simmer uncovered for a further 15 mins or until pumpkin is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach and cook until just wilted.
- Remove from pan and serve over rice, steamed veggies or Cauliflower rice.
Our family enjoyed this meal a lot and it will be added to our regular menu once our supermarket challenges have finished.
Be safe and remember Life is precious. Nicki